MAKE A REQUEST

"At Gibeon the LORD appeared to Solomon in a dream by night; and God said, 'Ask! What shall I give you?'" - 1Kings 3:5


It all becomes exciting when it is the Lord that ask us to make that one request, we humans are naturally wired up to make request to God even without permission and of course we know He is always willing to answer or grant our petitions, but when we have an opportunity like the one Solomon had, and we are given an open cheque to request something from Him, what would our request be? Would it be for something as temporal as riches, or you will ask for something that would naturally come to you...


Wisdom was what Solomon requested for, and God was impressed with his request; I often wonder what my own request would be and whether God would grant my request, on second thought, I know He would grant it, since He asked me to request that one thing, but I am not too sure that I even know what to ask for.


Something eternal, something tangible that would make God impressed, sometimes, I wonder if I won't ask below what He can do, or maybe I do not even know what my greatest of desire would be, but sometimes I know what I need the most is God Himself! I question myself thinking, if the pleasures by His right hand can suppress the pressures of this world.... Again I wonder what my request will be.


Imagine the Lord appearing to you today right now, I doubt if you know what your request will be. When I was little, all I asked for was wisdom, knowledge and understanding. Now I do not think I have the same desire as Solomon anymore, and I do not think that I have to ask for riches anymore, because it seems as if those are add-ons and they are certain to come; then what will your request be? Is it a house, some people didn't pray to get a house. Is it a car, is that all you will use that opportunity to do? Is it children - He already promised that in His word that none shall be barren. Then what would your request be.


DEADLY REQUEST
"He also swore to her, 'Whatever you ask me, I will give you, up to half my kingdom.'" - Mark 6:23
"Immediately she came in with haste to the king and asked, saying, 'I want you to give me at once the head of John the Baptist on a platter.'" - Mark 6:25


She was promised even up to half of the kingdom, but she requested for God's servant, she could have all she ever desired and fantasized about, but no - this request just flew from no where. Herodias' daughter didn't think, she allowed her mum's desire become her desire; it was inordinate but she didn't think twice. I know that some people do not have a choice of their own and they have indirectly allowed their friend's inordinate wish become theirs also.


O, Satan sought permission to sift Peter as wheat, but for the prayers of Jesus, he was restored. I pray that every request of the enemy over your life will not stand in Jesus name. How can a man who went about doing God's work be beheaded just like that? He was martyred some say, but I do not like the idea that it was an enemy's request that made John the Baptist die. Satan asked for permission to deal with Job, but thank God that God Himself gave a limit to how far the devil can go. May the Lord not permit or grant the desire of the devil over our lives.


The scripture says that the Lord has not given us as a prey to the teeth of the enemy; I am not in anyway blaming God, but I have learnt that I can pray that the request of the enemy over my life will not be granted. Jesus prayed for Peter, He said the devil has requested. God forbid that the request of the enemy over my life and your life be granted in Jesus name. When they request to terminate the destiny of God's child, they can come through lust, they can even come through spiritual attack; but the child of God must pray to void such a request.


"You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures." - James 4:3


Please note that, it was because of an extra-marital affair that made Herodias ask for the head of John the Baptist, some young people have wished their parents dead so that they can become lustful and lost. Some people would have wished the pastor dead, so that their conscience be not pricked at the words of the Lord.


I sense that there is someone who has a lustful desire reading this, you think it is harmless but please watch it. Some people's request may be based on immorality, they may have one request of vengeance, they may have one request and that is to pollute the earth with corruption. Some have the one request for power so as to oppress the righteous. I pray that your heart become cleansed today.


A foolish king was bound under oath and he felt he didn't have a choice than to grant that deadly request. I can also sense that you could have bound yourself under some oath of some sort and you think you are bound to perform it, but within you know that, that is a deadly request you are about granting. Dear friend, maybe you have bound yourself to commit adultery or fornication, maybe you have promised to deflower yourself on a certain day to a certain boy, listen if you do not grant it nothing will happen. God will help you if you repent sincerely. The scripture tells us that it wasn't just because of the oath that Herod granted that deadly request, he granted it also because of the guests around; but I see it as foolishness also. Some of us have taken to alcohol and womanising just because we have taken a bet, and want to protect our reputation, this is an error and should not be your case.


Though her request was granted that day, but I am sure that she would have lost her peace also. I do not know if it is the same Herod but I am sure of one Herod sho was struck dead by an angel later in Acts 12:20-24. Anyone who grants a deadly request, is already in danger.


A HARD REQUEST
"And so it was, when they crossed over, that Elijah said to Elisha, 'Ask! What may I do for you, before I am taken away from you?' Elisha said, 'Please let a double portion of your spirit be upon me.'" - 2Kings 2:9
"So he said, 'You have asked a hard thing. Nevertheless, if you see me when I am taken from you, it shall be so for you; but if not, it shall not be so.'" - 2Kings 2:10


How I pray that your request is profound, how I wish and indeed pray that your request will make the heavens pause and stare at you for a while, this Elisha's request was too profound and even Elijah had to address it in a special case. This man was healthy already, he didn't need healing, he left a business, so he knew how to get back to it; but this request of not just Elijah's spirit but a double of it... How can a man give double when He has just himself. This to me, means that the request was channelled to God and not Elijah. Elijah could only give what he had; but asking for double was a request made to the giver of the spirit Himself and that is God.


God was also impressed at Solomon's request, He wondered why he didn't ask for riches, he wondered why he didn't ask for his enemies head, He asked for wisdom. Wisdom is available to all who ask because the scripture says that if anyone lacks wisdom, let him ask of God. But this is not about you requesting, it is about God asking you to make a request. This is not a wish before a birthday cake lighted with candles; this one is a prayer that God is bound to give quick answer.


Recently, a friend told me about a program he attended and the minister asked some youth who were well dressed to come out, when they did, he asked them to make a request, alas, all of them were materialistic, none asked for prayers, none asked to prophetic declaration, all asked for laptop and the likes. This is not hard, even if they do not pray, God can still give those youths a car. We must begin to reexamine our desires to even know if God is impressed.


"But Jesus answered and said, 'You do not know what you ask. Are you able to drink the cup that I am about to drink, and be baptised with the baptism that I am baptised with?' They said to Him, 'We are able.'" - Matt 20:22


They had to get their mother to join them in this request, two grown men knew what they wanted and they just couldn't go alone. Jesus Himself paused and asked them to ascertain if they knew what they were asking, they reaffirmed their request. This was a hard one, this request was very unusual, where in the world did they come up with such request?


Dear friend, I want to let you know that most of our request doesn't baffle God anymore, many of the things we ask for are too routine, so God does not even bother to ask us to make a request, we do not seek that which is heavenly and this is a pointer to the fact that we are too earthly.


David said in Psalm 27:4 that, one thing he desired of the Lord and that one thing he will seek and that is to dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of his life, to behold the beauty of the Lord and to inquire in His temple. If our greatest desires and needs can be summed up in one profound request, I personally think that pursuit will be defined and our destinies will swiftly move in one progressive direction.


WE DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO ASK
"Likewise the Spirit also helps our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings  which cannot be uttered." - Rom 8:26


Sometimes that one request may not come in one phrase or sentence, sometimes when the Lord gives us that one open cheque, all our natural self wants to do, is to speak many things and at the end of the day not say anything; but if the Holy Spirit help that weaknesses of ours, we can then know what to ask.


No one can make that one profound request independent of the Holy Spirit, we really do not know what we should request, even when we are praying; if we do not engage the Holy Spirit, we will be beating against the wind. I do not think that any man knows what to ask except the Holy Spirit helps us.


I personally think that the Lord is giving an open cheque to many of us and He is asking what is that one request that you will make that will change your life for good forever? What is that thing that you so desire; this request doesn't come from past experiences of hurts or things, it is a request that speaks of the future and it that which the Lord wants to do.


"And the king said to her, 'What do you wish, Queen Esther? What is your request? It shall be given to you - up to half the kingdom! So Esther answered, 'If it pleases the king, let the king and Haman come today to the banquet that I have prepared for him.'" - Esther 5:3-4


Unlike that young demonic dancer of a girl, Queen Esther didn't ask for her enemy's head, if she did, how else would the Lord have prepared a table before her in the presence of her enemies. She put coals on Haman's head by inviting him alongside the king for a banquet. She didn't immediately seek for a revenge.


Understand the work of the Spirit here, she was just coming from a fast, and her request would have looked stupid if she had started seeking for the head of Haman, so she trusted in the wisdom of God. I personally think it was wisdom, though on a lower degree that made Solomon request for wisdom and same applies to Esther. The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of wisdom and He can guide us to make that profound and commendable one request.


When Jesus gave the offer to that man at the pool of Bethesda, he started lamenting on how he has not found someone to help him get into the water. He had an opportunity to make that one request but he was there complaining. If the Lord will not have mercy on us and if we don't allow the Holy Spirit to be involved in our requests, we would miss it all. Let the Spirit of God help you.


CONCLUSION:
God has given us a blank cheque to make that one lifetime request, if you are carnal, your request will be deadly, if you allow the Holy Spirit, your request will be that 'Hard thing'.


God bless you and I love you
Akinsuroju Femi
© The Fundamentals

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HARVEST

THE MINISTER'S WIFE

COSTLY ERRORS